In support of a healthy and active culture in our schoolchildren, the Bicycle Network's ninth National Ride2School Day event will be held this Friday 13th March. Over 300,000 Australian students will ride, walk, scoot or skate to school. The Ride2School initiative supports over 2,000 schools across Australia. The purpose of National Ride2School Day is to show school communities that riding to school is an easy and fun activity. It is a chance to celebrate on a large scale and prove it can be done. It is supported and funded by the Victorian State Government and uses behaviour change methodologies to increase the number of students actively traveling to school all year around. But the Ride2School program is not just about Ride2School Day on this Friday - it is a fully fledged program that can support your school in ongoing activities and programs all year round to to create and maintain an active travel culture. Such as:
- Monthly HandsUp! count system so you can keep track of how you are going
- Star Rewards and Barrier Buster incentives—offering such prizes as bike parking and bike education
- Development of active travel route way finding markers and mapping
- Bike education and Good2Go training skills courses
- Local and State Government support to create active travel environments (e.g. school crossings, reduced speed limits, paths etc)
Fitter, healthier kidsWhy get behind this progam? Well, according to research last year, "More than 80 per cent of children fail to get one hour of exercise each day, ranking them behind Britain and Finland as among the least active in the world." And its so easy! The Bicycle Network have a great set of resources to help you with every step of the day's organising and activities. Check it out here: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/programs/3085/ And its not just about fitter and healthier kids, there are other benefits to riding to school too. The Bicycle Network says, "The school journey is a perfect opportunity for children to get active, learn about their local area, develop their social networks and gain independence."
Win awesome prizes for the kids who love riding bikesAnd best of all - you can win great prizes too just by submitting your ride2school photos. Post a photo to the Bicycle Network Facebook page, upload it to Bicycle Network Twitter or your own Instagram account. Remember to use the hashtag #Ride2School and mention @bicycle_network. Entries will be open until 11.59pm on Monday 16 March , 2015 (AEST). Once the competition closes we'll go through all the images that have been submitted and our expert panel of judges will select their favorites and determine who will win the prizes below. The winners will be announced on Monday 13 April, 2015.
Here's a roundup of the Ride2School Day in 2014:
- National Ride2School Day: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/programs/2242/
- National Ride2School Day Resources page: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/programs/3085/
- National Ride2school Day Photo Competition Info: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/programs/3199/
- Bicycle Network Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Ride2School
- Ride2School Progam: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/programs/345/
- Reserch Report Article: http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/australian-children-some-of-the-least-active-in-the-world-a-survey-reveals-20140520-38mmc.html