Last year we were lucky enough to experience the Great Victorian Bike Ride, from a 9 year old's point of view, via our young rider Miles who rode the 5 day event with his Mum, Jayne. They had so much fun they are signing up to do it again - albeit the shorter ride this time - for 3 days of epic riding, camping, comraderie and fun in the Victorian Goldfields region. Jayne filled us in last time on Miles' training, the required packing list, and of course, a daily update of the best bits and the worst - from their perspective. She also wrote a great article recently published in the Traveller magazine of their adventure which is terrific insight for anyone planning on doing the ride for 2015.
Heading into its 32nd year, the RACV Great Victorian Bike Ride is the largest multi-day ride in the Southern Hemisphere, and a fun, friendly and challenging camping holiday.This year, Jayne and Miles are doing the 3 day event - a 218km round loop starting and finishing in Bendigo. And Miles is swapping his 540x16 geared boys bike for a ride on the 540R kids road bike. It'll give him a bit more of a riding edge with a bike designed for the roads that he'll be riding on.
What kids love about the Great Victorian Bike Ride (from Miles in 2014!):
- The kids movies at night
- Putting up the tent (it's a pop-up!)
- Passing his mum
- Passing anyone
- Catching up with people we've already met on the road
- It's very friendly, he's met lots of families
- People saying that they're amazed that he can do it
- The SAG Wagon
- The Great Victorian Bike Ride Pack List:
- Miles prearing for the 2014 Great Vic Bike Ride
- Days 1 to 3 in the 2014 Great Vic Bike Ride - a 9 Year old's Perspective
- The 2014 Great Victorian Bike Ride - The Journey's End